Are Schools Killing Creativity / Installation Art


 ------------------------------------

Part I

 

EDUCATIONAL VIDEO

Are Schools Killing Creativity? with Sir Kenneth Robinson (min. 11:15 on).


After watching the video above, answer the following questions:

 Question 1

What is Robinson's definition of intelligence?

 Question 2

Why does Robinson think schools are killing creativity?

Question 3

What would you, as a new teacher, do to enhance creativity in your classroom?

----------------------------

Part II

Installation Art


Installation art is a term generally used to describe artwork located in three-dimensional interior space as the word "install" means putting something inside of something else. In our class we adapt this concept to arrange readymades and found objects in order to create an installation that has meaning.

 

Concepts Addressed today:

Readymades

Found Objects

Wabi-Sabi

Watch the videos below:


READY MADES

The readymades of Marcel Duchamp are ordinary manufactured objects that the artist selected and modified, as an antidote to what he called "retinal art". By simply choosing the object and repositioning or joining, titling and signing it, the Found object became art.



FOUND OBJECTS

Found object originates from the French objet trouvé, describing art created from undisguised, but often modified, objects or products that are not normally considered materials from which art is made, often because they already have a non-art function.




WABI-SABI

In traditional Japanese aesthetics, wabi-sabi is a world-view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete"




 

Question 4

What is the importance of ready mades and found objects when creating installation art pieces?

Question 5

How does the concept of wabi-sabi apply to installation art work?

 

PART III


ACTIVITY
 
Installation Art
 
1. Gather found objects and readymades.
 
2. Arrange them in a way that makes sense to you.
 
3. Look at it and find the meaning of it.
 
4.Write a short synopsis of what it means.
 
5. Give it a title
 
6. Take a picture or several pictures of your installation piece.
 
7. Post your pictures, your title and your synopsis on Discussion Board.

 8. Write a brief reflection about your experience. How do you think it will help your students?

POST ALL YOUR ANSWERS AND WORK ON DISCUSSION BOARD.

 -----------------------------

 

STUDENTS' WORK 

 TAL 324 O

 

 Artist: Allison Rubin

Essentials

The name of this art that I created is "Essentials." The meaning of these objects is that they are my favorite essentials that I use in my day-to-day life which are chapstick, my wallet, and a water bottle. These are three things that I always have with me. I think this will help other students because it shows that essential items to your everyday life can be put together and looked at in a creative way.


Artist: Amaya Turner


Little House 

My art display is made out of a cardboard granola box, a water bottle, and a fruit snack wrapper. I arranged them to look like a house because this is the first time I’m living on my own and it’s quite a milestone for me. 


Artist: Brandon Senia

Plated rose

This is a a rose plated on top of a glass. This dead rose sits on this plate with out water. The plate separates the rose from getting what it needs to survive. This to me shows how things that are so close can seam so far away.

 

 

Artist: Hanlin Chen

Fit

The name of my piece is "Fit". I am trying to stick a computer wire transporter to a projector. They are related because they both can work with my laptop, but they cannot work with each other. I am using these because they are my everyday "go-to". I need them daily to help me study and now I can create art out of them.

 


 
Artist: Hairui Deng

A pile of my day

I put things that I'll use in one day together to create this "art". The message I want to convey is my life is simple but it's what I should do right now. Everyone is in their own pace, so I just want to focus on my goals this year and do them properly. My goals are: be fit, complete my degree, and play games in the spare time.

 

Artist: Ashley Stand
 

My Gifts

 This is a piece that represents a few of my favorite gifts I've gotten over the years. I put it from the least recent to the most recent. I believe that something like this would help my students because of the thought I put into the objects and the way I arranged them. If I had students, I would want to inspire them to do the same thing with their art.


Artist: Manu Tobar

Time & Money

The image I took is an hourglass on top of some cash. These two objects represent time and money, which are both things that are very wanted by people.

 

 

                                                                    Artist: Haiming Hao

Jocker

It doesn’t have any meaning, for sure. But you can always find a sort of order in chaos, and even chaos and order are relative. To me, the notebook records economy knowledge, and it is the order hidden inside. However, for billions of people who do not speak English, the poker makes much more sense, and the Joker standing at the center, is the king that suppresses the chaos.

 

                                                                        Artist: Harry Zas

 Miami

  1.  This picture portrays things that remind me of miami. First there is water which is significant because it is always hot out and I am always carrying around a water. Next, there are sunglasses which are significant because the sun is always in my eyes here. Next there is a hat which I always wear here. Lastly, the is the football which is significant because of the UMiami football team.  

 


Artist: Lingzi Ye

 Power and Lonely

 The name of my art called 'Power and lonely,' which was a powerful emperor on the top, but he feels very lonely. In contrast, there are a group of poor people who are very happy. That reflects that when you get something, you have to lose something.

------------------------------

 

 TAL 324 G



Artists: Georgia Kambouras, Paulina Pages, Nicole Flores, Rebecca Marcus


Spaghetti and meatballs 

We went outside and saw this beautiful stringy branch that resembled spaghetti to us and then we foind red rocks that matched perfectly as meatballs. 


 
Artists:  Alex Senich, Jake Barrett, Carter Ingersoll


 
Purple Leaf on Top
 
 
We created our piece in this way because the cactus part is sharp and scary while the flower is beautiful showing that sometimes you have to go through sharp hard times for beauty.
 
 
 
 
Artists: Olivia, Casey, Kylie, Bella P.
 
 

Artists: Ana, Ambi, Emily


Artists: Nicole, Eden, Rea, Leyla 

 

Celebration

 

Our piece, titled Celebration, is a reminder to celebrate all moments in life, hard and easy. The metal blade and rocks represent hard and challenging times in life while the feather and the fuzzy part of the bark represent easier times in life which should be equally celebrated.



Artists: Grace, Nate, TyeJohn, Tyrique, Gilbert Frierson Attachment


"The Plant of Life"

 

If you have support in your life and people who help you, you will grow into a healthy beautiful person like a plant in the sun.

Comments

  1. QI:Intelligence is not equal to knowledge, intelligence refers to the ability of people to understand objective things, observation, attention, memory, imagination, thinking and operation of the comprehensive ability

    Q2:Children are born artists. What makes them special is their ability to innovate, but now education advocates that a dedicated teacher can spot a gifted student.

    Q3:Allow students to learn by themselves, discuss, explore, practice, and research. Arouse students' learning enthusiasm, change passive to active hair. Cultivate students' thinking ability, create a comfortable and open learning atmosphere, stimulate students' active learning. Communicate with students.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Every Kid Needs a Champion / Minilessons

Final Essays [O]

Visit to the Lowe: VTS (Visual Thinking Skills)