Collage: Pictures to Build Ideas

CHEK IN 
(5 min.)

WARM UP
Body, Breathing & Mind
(10 min.)
 
-------------------
 
Review
 

(9:20 min.)

 Question 1

What new pieces of information about the three theories covered in this video (behaviorism, cognitivism, constructivism) can you add to your previous understanding (from last class) of learning theories?

-------------------

The Ethnosphere

By Wade Davis

The class will be introduced to National Geographic's Explorer Wade Davis who teaches about what he calls the ethnosphere, a word he uses to describe the imaginative contributions of humanity to the planet. He makes emphasis on people's stories. They are global resources, just like air, water, and green life.  Just like the biosphere, the ethnosphere is also threatened by rampant modernization and globalization. 



(22:19 min)

Question 2
 
According to Wade Davis what is the ethnosphere?
 
Question 3
 
According to Wade Davis, what has been lost in terms of humanity's cultural heritage? 
 
Question 4
 
(11:37)
 
According to Wade Davis, what is ethnocide? 
 
Question 5
 
What did the Neolithic Revolution change for the human species? 
 

ACTIVITY 1

Collage
 

Turning Pages of Magazines Into Surreal Collages


Collage is a technique of an art production, primarily used in the visual arts, where the artwork is made from an assemblage of different forms, thus creating a new whole.

Given the materials given in class (National Geographic magazines), create a group collage. After experiencing the activity, plan a lesson with your group members.


Sources

Tales of the Ethnosphere. UTNE Reader
 
---------------------------------------
STUDENTS' WORK
 
TAL 324 O 
 

Artist: Nicole Katz

Untitled

Every morning I wake up to this collage and it is a beautiful part of my day. It is so colorful, bright, happy, and loving and reminds me to be happy and loving. I love the quotes because they serve as constant reminders throughout my day. Lastly, the different images spark my creativity and get my ideas flowing.



                                                                Artist: Emma Carlson

Title: Falling into Fall

I decided to do a collage inspired by the beauty of fall. Since it’s September, I’m excited for sweater weather, fall decor, pumpkin flavor, leaves changing, and drinking something hot under a cozy blanket. I had an Autumn Bliss magazine laying around the house, so I cut out a bunch of images that I feel are the most aesthetically pleasing and best represent what fall means to me. This was a really fun and relaxing activity that I would definitely encourage my students to do. It lets you express yourself and something you’re interested in through an artistic piece. In classes, collages could even be done about a specific topic such as history or science.


Artist: Madisen Rieger

An Individual Etnosphere

The collage I created includes images of my travels, my home, my family, my friends, and I. All these aspects of my life have made me who I am and developed my morals, beliefs, and thoughts. I thought this collage would be interesting to make because this is my own personal Etnosphere. If I had to title this piece I would likely name it "An Individual Etnosphere". I included some drawing in it as well because I enjoy drawing, I ripped all the pages and only used glue, paper, and my hands to create this piece. I enjoy making collages and do it often, as well as drawing.

 


Artist: Spenser Adams

Untitled

 In the following collage, I used many aspects of nature because I feel like being in nature can provide so many benefits. It lowers stress and anxiety, releases endorphins, and makes you feel better in general. I also included my dog in there because she usually goes with me. This collage is inspirational to me because over the summer I learned how important getting sun and nature is for a person's mental health. As a result, I wanted the collage to be based on the environment, because it inspires me to get better and better each day, and take in the world around me.

 

 

 Artist: Amaya Turner

Enjoying the Moments

This collage is called “Enjoying the moments.” I made this collage to bring me happiness, remind myself to enjoy the little moments and have fun. My day is very busy so it’s nice to be reminded to take a breath and enjoy the little things in life.


 Artist: Wenyang Cao

Mamba Mentality

This is the collage that I made to inspire myself to work hard and stay positive everyday. Kobe is my favorite basketball player and his mamba mentality always strive me for greatness. I would like to name this "mamba mentality".


 

Artist: Rachel Rader

Vacation Dreaming...

Although I was not able to present in class on Thursday due to Yom Kippur, I am very excited to share my collage called vacation dreaming.  The title is self explanatory and shows the idealization of going on vacation.  Covid-19 has definitely halted everyones vacation plans and I think we are all dreaming of a getaway.  I included people, locations, food, activities, scents, and moods so that I could capture the dreamy vacation vibes with all of the 5 senses! 

 

Artist: Allison Rubin

Inspiration

 The collage I created includes pictures from my inspiration mood board of my home which is my happy place, fashion inspiration, views, and food that I really enjoy. These are all things that inspire me and make me feel motivated to be a creator. I really enjoy looking at this collage because it helps me feel inspired. I would call this collage “Inspiration”

=========================

TAL 324 G


     Artists: Nate Dumont and Grace Tenke 
 
 Fight or Flight

Our collage was titled "Fight or Flight". The collage depicts an ocean and sky where there are birds and a shark. The birds symbolize the flight and the shark represents the fight. Our collage, although simplistic, shows a common conflict people experience in life. This lesson can be used in classrooms to allow students to understand the idea of decision making.

 -------------------------------
 
Artists: Giblert Frierson, Jahfari Harvey, Tyrique Stevenson
 
Swagger

                                                                -----------------------------

 

        Artists: Casey Goodman, Kylie Acardi, Alex Senich, Avantae Williams, Charleston Rambo 

The Jungle

The name of our collage is "The Jungle." Our piece represents how animals live in their natural environment and survive. Each animal is unique and different. They are able to balance and benefit off one another. They are forming a balanced ecosystem together. Just like humans, we all need each other to live a good long life.

 ----------------------------------

 


Artists: Maya Bar-Mashiah, Alexandra Philion, Nicole Flores, Paulina Pages, Emily Tano, Kaylee Henderson

 Aliens are Alive 

Our piece ties into creativity and imagination in students. Even though school is very focus-oriented, we want kids to know it is ok to think outside the box and use their imagination.

 ------------------------


Artists: Collage- Bella F., Bella P., Olivia T., Ashley, Nicole, Ambi

 Under the Sea

The collage shows everyone personality. there are big and small parts- and space for everyones's thoughts and imagery. This shows students who may work and think different and work together to make something gorgeous! 

 

-------------------------


Artists: Lenox Alexa Eden Rea Tyejohn Bri 

Through the Years

The name of this collage is a representation of the art throughout the years. We will use this activity to teach the lesson that things that are different can come together.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Kid Needs a Champion / Minilessons

Final Essays [O]

Visit to the Lowe: VTS (Visual Thinking Skills)